Tuesday, October 20, 2009

How to Dress for an Interview

It has been requested that I post about what to wear to an interview. I recently switched jobs (alleluia!) and it was quite difficult to form an outfit to wear to the interviews for a couple reasons:

-previous job caused weight gain
-suits are slightly less current/updated
-I hate the "uniform" look; must be because of all my days in private school

So, I tried to put together outfits that were more dressy than "business casual" but still showed my personal flair. How should you do this?

-Decide first on a skirt or pants. I chose a skirt but not for any reason in particular.
-Pair the skirt/pants with a dressier blouse (I love the sleeveless ruffle blouses, personally)
-Wear conservative jewelry (pearls, diamonds, etc...none of this "don't make me take off my hoop earrings")
-Wear heels. I think this is a must because you not only feel more professional/grown up but your posture improves.
-Wear some sort of jacket item. I'll post pictures, don't worry.
-Bring some copies of your resume on linen paper, just in case they do not have some readily printed, preferably tucked in your purse.
-Eat breakfast (or whatever meal comes before the interview). No one likes a grumbling tummy during interviews.
-Have clean nails (doesn't mean not polished, just not chipping), clean hair, clean teeth, and fresh breath.

Now for the fun part---pictures!!!! Julie came up with some cute jackets for her friend to wear to hers. I would probably mix and match any of these pieces to create your interview look. Add a belt if necessary.

anthropologie.com
***
jrew.com
*
jcrew.com
jcrew.com
ninewest.com
anthropologie.com
anthropologie.com
jcrew.com
*
jcrew.com
ninewest.com
*A dress is totally appropriate for an interview with a jacket over as well.
**Yes, I know, I always post anthropologie and jcrew items. The reason is the advertising/pictures are HEAVENLY but let's be honest, these things are usually out of the price range desired by many. Just create a similar look easily by going to Target, Forever 21, Gap, Old Navy, or any of the online spots I've shared!!! Don't forget the first place to look is IN YOUR CLOSET and maybe even a friend's!
***This pair of trousers, the super 120s, is an absolute classic. It is a staple to have if you have the cash. Comes in pinstripes as well which I LOVE, but one must have the basics (black trousers!) before the fun.
Was this helpful? Any ideas of your own?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails